August 19, 2015

Dark Hollow by Brian Keene

Dark HollowDark Hollow by Brian Keene
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have yet to not like a book by Briane Keene. This expands Keene's library with a chilling tale of a satyr run amok in a forest near a small town. Increasingly, my favorite parts of these stories are the meta-verse they exist in, fleshed out here in descriptions of the Labyrinth and the 13. I'm increasingly interested in whether he intends to bring this to some kind of climactic conclusion in a future work or if he's just having fun constructing a universal woe machine to plague the inhabitants of earth.

Another fascination is his relentless pessimism in his story-telling. He pulls few punches and I'm not sure he's even heard of the concept of a happy ending. Dark hollow is a diorama constructed and then artfully destructed for your reading pleasure. I'm usually a little too sensitive to horror, but something about his world-bulding just fascinates me.

I'll certainly never look at trees the same way again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment