August 19, 2015

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer

Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this up on a sale at Powell's, so I had no idea what to expect really. I was pleasantly surprised by the prose and the story though. It starts weird and gets weirder. It reminds me of House of Leaves and the game Myst, in part. The world-building, the body horror, the mystery are all gripping enough to keep the pages turning at a steady pace. It's a little short on answers, but heavy on weird and atmosphere and interesting characters. I'm certainly invested enough to add the next two in the trilogy to my list. I think a lot of my overall review will hinge on where the story goes from here, but given the quality of the first volume I'm optimistic.

Recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment